Tuesday, March 29, 2011

POSSCON and more...

POSSCON Results
So POSSCON was a huge success in my eyes. It was great to meet people that were very enthusiastic about open source software. I think the open source community is moving in the right direction and I think more and more software solutions are going to become open source. It was interesting to see the input from some various computer scientist veterans about how open source can be useful. I found John "mad dog" Halls speech very interesting. Hall talked about his take on open source and how much money it can really save businesses. I also like that he emphasized the fact that software is only as valuable as someone makes it. If you NEED software badly and it can help you very much, then chances are that software is extremely valuable. This idea is very interesting because when you think open source you think of "free", at least I do. This is not necessarily true. Open source software can be very valuable and can be a point of profit for someone. Overall I believe POSSCON opened my eyes just a little more to the possibilities of open source and most of all reinforced its goodness.

OpenMRS Plans, Future, Work, Etc.
We haven't had much progress as a group on OpenMRS these past few weeks. Bobby Strickland did a feasibility study on our first scheduled bug and discovered the bug is fixed in later versions of OpenMRS. I presented the idea that we could extract the solution and patch it with the requested version since there is a possibility that someone is running an older version and doesn't want or can't update to the latest stable version of OpenMRS. I believe I will try and revert my code to the requested version and offer a patch to the bug submission. Our other goals this week is to find another bug to work on in order to fulfill our requirement. Overall I have become very comfortable with the OpenMRS project and I feel like we are able to get around with the code very well. Better get to contributin' !

No comments:

Post a Comment