Thursday, April 21, 2011

The End

The semester is coming to an end and I have to formally end this blog at some point.
OpenMRS
Contributing to OpenMRS has been a great time. I have enjoyed the things I have learned by contributing. Many of the things I have experienced on this large project I have actually seen in the work place at my internship. I believe working with this project was invaluable. I would have hoped to contributed a little more but I am glad that I got to contribute something. Every little bit counts right?

Turns out I didnt get a chance to finish my last bug fix. I started to fix the problem as I saw fit but as I dug deeper into the problem it actually turned out to be too large of a bug to handle. I would have not had time to refactor some of the unit tests that needed to be worked on, given the permitted time. I hope that the OpenMRS team has apperciated our team's contributions and I actually hope to contribute again if I have extra time to work on the project. I think I have a lot more to learn and I think OpenMRS would be a great medium to use.

CSCI Software Engineering Practicum
My experiences with this class directly coincide with experiences with OpenMRS. All positive here. I have enjoyed this class and I believe it has really helped me in preparing for working in industry. I recently obtained an internship here locally and many of the tools and techniques discussed and used in this class have been used. This blog itself actually helped me secure my internship and was a great presentation point during my interviews. I think the most important thing learned in this class was how to work with large code bases and large projects. It is a great experience to dive into a large project and have to learn about in a short amount of time. Being able to adapt to a project and educate yourself on it is a very important quality to have in the workplace since more times out of none you this is exactly what will be happening to you (makes you appreciate documentation).




Final Notes:
Please check back on my blogger as I hope to blog about some other experiences as I grow as a computer scientist. This has been a useful tool for me and I want to use it again if I can. Please if you have any questions feel free to email me through my contact Info.

Thanks,

Joshua Walton
Undergraduate
College of Charleston
Department of Computer Science

No comments:

Post a Comment